CBI probe into MGNREGA in all Orissa districts demanded
Bhubaneswar: With the CBI inquiring
into alleged corruption in the MGNREGA in six Orissa districts
at the direction of the Supreme Court, the Congress on Wednesday
demanded that it cover all 30 districts.
"Corruption in the implementation of MGNREGA is
rampant in all the 30 districts. Therefore, the CBI
investigation should cover the entire state instead of being
restricted to six districts," state Congress Working President
L B Mohapatra told reporters here.
A PIL would shortly be filed in the apex court to urge
it to order investigation in all districts in Orissa instead
of six districts, he said.
Mohapatra alleged that work orders in the name of
engineers and government employees were issued in all 30
districts in gross violation of rules framed for the
implementation of MGNREGA.
According to rules, work orders should not be issued
in the name of junior engineers, but to the Gram Rozgar
Sanjojak, he said.
A CBI team arrived in the state from Delhi yesterday.
It was initially carrying out investigations in Rayagada,
Kalahandi and Koraput districts. It will take up cases in
three other districts in the second phase.
The CBI on May 12 was directed by the Supreme Court to
probe the alleged corruption in the rural job scheme.
The court gave the direction while disposing a PIL
filed by a Delhi-based NGO which alleged an about Rs 500 crore
scam in implementation of MGNREGA in the state.
The CBI had been directed to submit its preliminary
investigation report within six months.
The state government has provided police officers,
nodal officers in each district and vehicles at the disposal
of the CBI team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read