CBI probe into MGNREGA in all Orissa districts demanded
Bhubaneswar: With the CBI inquiring
into alleged corruption in the MGNREGA in six Orissa districts
at the direction of the Supreme Court, the Congress on Wednesday
demanded that it cover all 30 districts.
"Corruption in the implementation of MGNREGA is
rampant in all the 30 districts. Therefore, the CBI
investigation should cover the entire state instead of being
restricted to six districts," state Congress Working President
L B Mohapatra told reporters here.
A PIL would shortly be filed in the apex court to urge
it to order investigation in all districts in Orissa instead
of six districts, he said.
Mohapatra alleged that work orders in the name of
engineers and government employees were issued in all 30
districts in gross violation of rules framed for the
implementation of MGNREGA.
According to rules, work orders should not be issued
in the name of junior engineers, but to the Gram Rozgar
Sanjojak, he said.
A CBI team arrived in the state from Delhi yesterday.
It was initially carrying out investigations in Rayagada,
Kalahandi and Koraput districts. It will take up cases in
three other districts in the second phase.
The CBI on May 12 was directed by the Supreme Court to
probe the alleged corruption in the rural job scheme.
The court gave the direction while disposing a PIL
filed by a Delhi-based NGO which alleged an about Rs 500 crore
scam in implementation of MGNREGA in the state.
The CBI had been directed to submit its preliminary
investigation report within six months.
The state government has provided police officers,
nodal officers in each district and vehicles at the disposal
of the CBI team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city