CBI probe into Saraswati killing demanded
Bhubaneswar/Phulbani: Six years after VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati was gunned down in Odisha`s sensitive Kandhamal district, an organisation on Sunday demanded a CBI probe into his killing even as his followers observed his death anniversary.
Though six years have passed since Saraswati and four others were shot dead at his Jalespata ashram in Kandhamal, crime branch of police has been unable to establish the source of conspiracy behind the crime, speakers at a meeting held by "Swami Laxmananda Saraswati Smrutinyas" said.
"It shows that the crime branch is inefficient and an inquiry by CBI will help the truth come out," they said.
Saraswati and four of his disciples were gunned down by assailants on the Janmastami Day in 2008 at his Ashram in Kandhamal district triggering communal violence.
Organised under chairmanship of Mansukhlal Sethia, the meeting delved into the issue of security of saints and demanded stringent punishment for the culprits behind the assassination of Saraswati.
Among others, Swami Pranrupanand Saraswati, members Laxmikant Das, Ashok Kumar Das and former president of Kui Sanskrutika Parishad Padmanav Pradhan spoke.
Meanwhile, security was tightened at Chakapada and Jalespata Ashrams in Kandhamal district for Laxamananada Saraswati`s death anniversary and Janmastami festival.
As a precautionary step, the district administration is deploying security personnel at sensitive pockets including Jalaspeta and Chakapada ashrams.
No untoward incident was reported as police personnel in strength were deployed at Jalaspeta Ashram was killed and also Chakapada ashram, Sub-Divisional Police Officer (SDPO), Baliguda, S N Murmu said.
Sadhus from different places joined function on Saraswati`s death anniversary. Rituals like Sankirtan, Nama Yanja, Ghruta Yanja were performed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site