Centre asks Orissa if it is bringing ordinance on SPOs
New Delhi: The Centre on Thursday asked Orissa if it
was promulgating an ordinance on the lines of Chhattisgarh to
make SPOs part of the state police force.
"Chhattisgarh has promulgated the ordinance and the Centre
has asked Orissa whether they will promulgate a similar
ordinance," Home Minister P Chidambaram told the Rajya Sabha
while replying to a debate on growing incidents of terrorism
in the country.
Chidambaram said the Centre would soon take a decision on
whether to go for a review of the Supreme Court judgement on
the disbanding of Salwa Judum.
"The Centre is on the anvil of taking an appropriate
decision. I have done my homework and consulted the Attorney
General. When we will take a decision, I will share with the
He said, "There can be no rhyme or reason for anyone in
the country to take up arms to throw up Parliamentary
democracy...As long as we swear by Constitution. There is no
ground to take to violence to throw up Parliamentary
The Government had yesterday said that it will highlight
the contribution and help offered by SPOs in dealing with
anti-national elements and carrying out development projects
across the country.
The review petition, to be filed before the apex court, is
likely to cite the help offered by the Special Police Officers
in Naxal-affected states, Jammu and Kashmir and north eastern
states in dealing with extremist forces.
The Centre is likely to inform the Supreme Court that SPOs
are familiar with the local terrain, language and are of great
help to the security forces in combating Naxals who wanted to
overthrow the country`s democratic system.
Naxals have been killing innocent villagers and considered
SPOs as their enemies since they help the security forces and
were a hindrance to the activities of CPI (Maoists) in
creating "sovereign zones" within the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi