Centre to construct cyclone shelters in AP, Odisha
Visakhapatnam: The Centre has proposed to construct 140 cyclone shelters in the coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh and another 155 in Odisha, a member of National Disaster Management Authority (NMDA) said on Tuesday.
The shelters will be constructed under the National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP), NDMA member V K Duggal said at a press conference here.
He said the union government has sanctioned two?major projects under NCRMP, costing Rs 1,500 crore, to address cyclone-related risks in Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
He said the Centre has sanctioned Rs 647 crore to construct 140 cyclone shelters in nine coastal districts - Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Visakhaptnam, East and West Godavari, Krishna, Guntur, Nellore and Prakasam.
Duggal said the Centre has sanctioned another Rs 5 crore for embankment works in Krishna and Prakasham.
The government plans to construct 155 cyclone shelters in Odisha`s coastal districts to address cyclone-related risk in the eastern state, the NDMA member said.
He expressed the hope that construction of all the shelters would be completed by June 2015.
KM Singh, another NMDA member and in-charge of National Disaster Rescue Force, said the NMDA at present has 10 battalions with?1,100 trained personnel in each of them.
He said these personnel have been trained according to international standards to deal with disasters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand