Centre to construct cyclone shelters in AP, Odisha
Visakhapatnam: The Centre has proposed to construct 140 cyclone shelters in the coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh and another 155 in Odisha, a member of National Disaster Management Authority (NMDA) said on Tuesday.
The shelters will be constructed under the National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP), NDMA member V K Duggal said at a press conference here.
He said the union government has sanctioned two?major projects under NCRMP, costing Rs 1,500 crore, to address cyclone-related risks in Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
He said the Centre has sanctioned Rs 647 crore to construct 140 cyclone shelters in nine coastal districts - Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Visakhaptnam, East and West Godavari, Krishna, Guntur, Nellore and Prakasam.
Duggal said the Centre has sanctioned another Rs 5 crore for embankment works in Krishna and Prakasham.
The government plans to construct 155 cyclone shelters in Odisha`s coastal districts to address cyclone-related risk in the eastern state, the NDMA member said.
He expressed the hope that construction of all the shelters would be completed by June 2015.
KM Singh, another NMDA member and in-charge of National Disaster Rescue Force, said the NMDA at present has 10 battalions with?1,100 trained personnel in each of them.
He said these personnel have been trained according to international standards to deal with disasters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray