Centre to construct cyclone shelters in AP, Odisha
Visakhapatnam: The Centre has proposed to construct 140 cyclone shelters in the coastal districts of Andhra Pradesh and another 155 in Odisha, a member of National Disaster Management Authority (NMDA) said on Tuesday.
The shelters will be constructed under the National Cyclone Risk Mitigation Project (NCRMP), NDMA member V K Duggal said at a press conference here.
He said the union government has sanctioned two?major projects under NCRMP, costing Rs 1,500 crore, to address cyclone-related risks in Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.
He said the Centre has sanctioned Rs 647 crore to construct 140 cyclone shelters in nine coastal districts - Srikakulam, Vizianagaram, Visakhaptnam, East and West Godavari, Krishna, Guntur, Nellore and Prakasam.
Duggal said the Centre has sanctioned another Rs 5 crore for embankment works in Krishna and Prakasham.
The government plans to construct 155 cyclone shelters in Odisha`s coastal districts to address cyclone-related risk in the eastern state, the NDMA member said.
He expressed the hope that construction of all the shelters would be completed by June 2015.
KM Singh, another NMDA member and in-charge of National Disaster Rescue Force, said the NMDA at present has 10 battalions with?1,100 trained personnel in each of them.
He said these personnel have been trained according to international standards to deal with disasters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says