Century-old temple demolished
Berhampur: Nearly a century-old
temple was demolished in Hanuman Bazar in an eviction drive
here after shifting the deities to a temporary place, official
sources said on Friday.
The administration had given around one-month time to
Hanuman temple authorities to shift the deities before
carrying out demolition yesterday.
"We demolished the temple because it was constructed
on government land," sub-collector (Berhampur) Ajit Mishra
The anti-encroachment drive jointly launched by the
revenue department, Berhampur Municipal Corporation, Berhampur
Development Authority (BDA) and police was postponed to give
sufficient time to the encroachers and temple authorities to
move away before November 23.
"Since the temple has enough land to construct another
place of worship, we will take steps to construct a new
Hanuman temple in the area and install the deities", mayor of
the corporation SS Das said.
The new temple would be constructed by raising fund
through collection of donations from the public.
The anti-encroachment drive would continue for some
more days in Bada Bazar. The people fully cooperated with the
administration and there was no protest, police said.
Police personnel were deployed in the area to maintain
law and order. Several multi-stored buildings have also been
demolished during the drive. Earlier the administration had
issued notices to the building owners to evict.
The busy commercial area, considered the nerve centre
of the town, is choking with encroachments that have become a
nightmare for the commuters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY