Charge sheet against 23 in Orissa mining scam
Bhubaneswar: The vigilance department has
filed a charge sheet against two mine owners and 21 others in
the multi-crore Orissa mining scam, police said Saturday.
The 23 persons were accused of misappropriating Rs 1,063
crore from several mines in mineral-rich Keonjhar district,
We have filed a charge sheet yesterday against 23
persons, including mine owners Indrani Patnaik and Das
Mohapatra, SP (vigilance) D Patnaik said.
While Indrani was alloted an iron ore and manganese mine
at Unchabali in Keonjhar district, Mohapatra owned a manganese
mine at Katasahi-Kolha-Rudkela area in the same district.
Some government officials were also named in the charge
sheet, he said.
Meanwhile, neither Indrani nor Mohapatra Patnaik was
available for comment.
Chief minister Naveen Patnaik had handed over the probe
into the illegal mining activities, which came to light in
August 2009, to the vigilance department following a demand by
the Opposition Congress and BJP for a CBI probe.
According to the charge sheet, seven persons, including
Indrani, were allegedly involved in illegal mining activities
at Unchabali iron and manganese mines in Keonjhar.
The anti-corruption wing also claimed that Rs 1,009 crore
had been misappropriated by them by illegally extracting
Indrani, who shares a close relation with a local Congress
leader, was incidentally among the top income tax payers last
year when she had paid Rs 6 crore as income tax, officials
The vigilance also filed another charge sheet against 16
persons of RBT company, including two of its directors, that
was also accused of looting mineral resources worth Rs 54
crore, the vigilance SP said.
The two directors of RBT were identified as Virendra
Mohan Sharma and Manish Mohan Sharma. Charge sheet was also
filed against RBT representative Shakti Ranjan Dash.
Some government officials were earlier arrested for their
involvement in the mining scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday