Charge sheet against 23 in Orissa mining scam
Bhubaneswar: The vigilance department has
filed a charge sheet against two mine owners and 21 others in
the multi-crore Orissa mining scam, police said Saturday.
The 23 persons were accused of misappropriating Rs 1,063
crore from several mines in mineral-rich Keonjhar district,
We have filed a charge sheet yesterday against 23
persons, including mine owners Indrani Patnaik and Das
Mohapatra, SP (vigilance) D Patnaik said.
While Indrani was alloted an iron ore and manganese mine
at Unchabali in Keonjhar district, Mohapatra owned a manganese
mine at Katasahi-Kolha-Rudkela area in the same district.
Some government officials were also named in the charge
sheet, he said.
Meanwhile, neither Indrani nor Mohapatra Patnaik was
available for comment.
Chief minister Naveen Patnaik had handed over the probe
into the illegal mining activities, which came to light in
August 2009, to the vigilance department following a demand by
the Opposition Congress and BJP for a CBI probe.
According to the charge sheet, seven persons, including
Indrani, were allegedly involved in illegal mining activities
at Unchabali iron and manganese mines in Keonjhar.
The anti-corruption wing also claimed that Rs 1,009 crore
had been misappropriated by them by illegally extracting
Indrani, who shares a close relation with a local Congress
leader, was incidentally among the top income tax payers last
year when she had paid Rs 6 crore as income tax, officials
The vigilance also filed another charge sheet against 16
persons of RBT company, including two of its directors, that
was also accused of looting mineral resources worth Rs 54
crore, the vigilance SP said.
The two directors of RBT were identified as Virendra
Mohan Sharma and Manish Mohan Sharma. Charge sheet was also
filed against RBT representative Shakti Ranjan Dash.
Some government officials were earlier arrested for their
involvement in the mining scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India