Chargesheet filed in Odisha girl`s rape-murder
Bhubaneswar: Police have filed a chargesheet in the rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl here in the Odisha capital, an official said on Tuesday.
The 60-page chargesheet was filed Monday in the sessions court against 22-year-old Kiran Sahu, the lone accused.
According to rules, a chargesheet can be filed in such cases within 120 days.
Police have gathered strong evidence against the offender, which are enough for his conviction, Deputy Commissioner of Police Nitinjit Singh told a news agency.
The footage of a closed-circuit television camera (CCTV) that showed the accused leading the victim away has also been submitted, he said.
Police said the accused asked the victim`s family about an address in the city`s Salia Sahi slum. The family sent the Class 4 student with the accused to lead him to the house.
Instead of locating the house, the accused allegedly took the girl to a nearby secluded area and raped her before strangling her to death, police said.
The incident occurred Aug 20, but came to light only after the victim`s family and other residents searched for the girl when she did not return. The residents spotted her body in a nearby area and informed police.
The CCTV camera at the gate of a private college showed the accused leading the victim away. Locals nabbed the offender and handed him over to police. The victim`s family and the accused are daily-wage earners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader