Chargesheet in Pipli rape case submitted
Cuttack: The Odisha police probing the
alleged gangrape of a 19-year-old dalit girl of Pipli on Saturday
submitted chargesheet against prime accused Prashant Pradhan
and his associate Sukanta Pradhan but said the allegation of
rape could not be substantiated.
The allegation could not be substantiated because the
girl was unable to give any statement as she was in coma since
the attempt on her life on November 29 last year, the Crime
Branch of the police said in the chargesheet submitted to a
magisterial court in Pipili.
A Crime Branch release said the case was being kept open
to examine the victim when she is able to give a statement and
also to examine the criminal liability of local police and
doctors who allegedly tried to screen the accused and
neglected in giving proper treatment to her.
Pradhan was charged section 341 (wrongful restraint),
354 (assault to outrage modesty), 307 (attempt to murder), 506
(criminal intimidation) and 34 (common intention) of IPC and
several other charges under SC and ST (Prevention of
Prashant’s younger brother Sukant had no direct role
in attacking the victim on the day of the incident but had
threatened the girl`s family members.
It said investigations revealed Prashant had an intimate
relationship with the victim but later developed a sense of
betrayal and wanted to kill her as she was avoiding him.
"On the day of the incident, Prashant used the odhani
(dupatta) of the victim to strangulate her," it said.
The release said two other arrested persons Gurna Chandra
Swain and Premananda Nayak had no role in the incident of
November 29 but there was evidence against them for
threatening the victim`s family members in the context of an
earlier case of 2008 where she was a witness and the two were
A separate FIR was registered against Swain and Nayak
on February 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi