Chatra Yatra: Animals sacrificed despite ban
Bhawanipatna: Despite a ban on animal sacrifice, the `Chatra Yatra` of Goddess Manikeswari saw the ritual being practiced in large scale with over three lakh devotees thronging the town to witness the holy procession.
Devotees spent sleepless night yesterday on the occasion of `Mahastami` to watch various rituals, including carrying the ceremonial `Chhatra` of the deity to Jenakhal, three kms from the temple, after the performance of `Sandhi Puja`.
In the early hours today, the `Chhatra` returned to the original abode accompanied by?`Jenavadya` to the sounds of `ghanta`, `kahali` and `ghumura`.
The Kalahandi district administration had made elaborate measures for the smooth conduct of the yatra and it passed off peacefully, official sources said.
Even as devotees watched the proceedings and performed their puja, thousands of them sacrificed animals at various places in Odisha to propitiate the deity for fulfillment of their wishes.
Despite spreading awareness against the practice, devotees still carried out the practice, even five-six kms away from the site where the procession was being carried out, an official said.
"It is a hard job to stop the practice by force. There is need for an awareness drive", he said.
Scores of devotees also released doves as a mark of respect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...