Children Kite Festival in Koraput
Koraput: The winter clear blue sky of picturesque Koraput in Odisha became a colourful canvas when hundreds of children got together for the 6th Koraput Children Kite Festival.
Attention grabbing kites in various shapes and sizes dotted the skyline at mountainous Koraput’s stadium ground. The aim of the festival was to make children dream high and to follow it like they follow their soaring kite.
Parents were also invited to assist their children in kite flying and it was altogether a different experience when they collectively enjoyed, said C Santakar, an organiser. Around 250 children, aged between 6 and 14 years from several schools across Koraput town participated in the festival organised on Sunday by a social organisation.
While many children had brought specially-designed and decorated kites to participate in the festival, those who arrived at the ground without their own were provided kites by the organisers.
It was altogether a superb opportunity for both the veteran kite flyers and the young one to soak in a colourful fun time as the festival provided an amazing chance to kids who had never flown kites to try the traditional pastime.
As spectators cheered them, the kite flyers struggled with strong winds to put up a great show. "It was a great experience to participate in the festival. Though it looks easy, one needs skill and technique to fly a kite. I look forward to coming here to fly kites next year as well,” said Somu Pangi, a Class III tribal student of a local school.
Though there was no competition among the kite flyers, the organisers had made it sure that each participant gets a gift only to encourage them to take part in such events.
"The event reminded me of my childhood. As kite flying is not very popular in urban areas, such festivals should be organised regularly. Such festivals need to be held in other areas as well to keep the tradition alive,” said DIG (BSF) Akhileswar Singh, who participated in the kite flying festival with the children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad