Chit fund: 15 people arrested in Odisha
Balasore: Fifteen people including the chief managing director of a chit fund company were arrested on Tuesday in Balasore district for duping investors through illegal money circulation, police said.
Among those arrested include CMD of Mid-East Group of Companies, Debesh Kumar Nayak, vice president Ratikant Tripathy and three founder members of the firm, Inspector In-Charge of Balasore town police station, Umesh Gadnaik said.
All the accused were produced before the sub-divisional judicial magistrate who sent them to jail for two weeks.
They were detained and interrogated since yesterday after a?cheque bounce complaint was lodged against them by a depositor.
One Radhakanta Das had lodged a complaint that after maturity of his deposit amount he was given a cheque of Rs 2.26 lakh which bounced, police said.
Meanwhile, the bail application of Prashant Das, CMD of Seashore Group, another chit fund company, was rejected by a court in Koraput.
Das was arrested from Mumbai a few days ago on charges of duping investors to the tune of Rs 50 crore in Semiliguda of Koraput district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender