CISF DG reviews security arrangements
Koraput (Odisha): In the wake of two Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) jawans sustaining bullet injuries in an attack by Maoists last week at NALCO`s bauxite mine atop Panchpatmali hills in Damanjodi, CISF DG Rajeev Kumar took stock of security arrangements at the mines area.
Kumar accompanied by CISF IG RP Singh, CISF DIG JD Prasad, BSF DIG SK Baruah, DIG (south-west) Saumeyendra Priyadarsi and Koraput SP Awinash Kumar, visted the crime spot on Monday and reviewed the security arrangements in a closed door meeting with security personnel.
"CISF officers visited the attack site and reviewed the present security arrangements in the mining area. Talks were held on measures to strengthen security in mining and peripheral areas in cooperation with Odisha police to avoid recurrence of such incident," said Koraput SP Awinash Kumar.
A CISF vehicle had come under heavy fire on Wednesday night while returning from Panchpatmali mines after dropping off a few jawans on night duty. Two jawans identified as RK Meena (driver) and Kisan Vallabhi (constable) were hit by bullets and were admitted to a hospital in Vishakapatnam for treatment. Their condition is said to be stable now.
The next day police recovered at least seven empty bullet cases, which were either fired from an AK 47 or a 303 gun, sources said.
"The modus operandi of the attack was the same as that of Maoists. But we are yet to ascertain which Naxal group was involved in it. Investigation is on," the SP said.
In April 2009, Maoists had mounted an attack on the magazine house of the CISF at the same Panchpatmali hills when at least 10 CISF jawans and six Maoists were killed in the gun battle between the two sides, which lasted for around 10 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe