Close shave for patients during hospital fire
Cuttack (Odisha): Four seriously ill patients undergoing treatment in the neurosurgery ICU of SCB Medical College and Hospital here had a narrow escape when a fire broke out as they were shifted immediately.
The patients had a close shave as they were immediately taken out of the ICU when the air-conditioner cable, passing close to the oxygen pipes, were in flames last evening, hospital sources said on Saturday.
"A major disaster was avoided as the hospital electrical maintenance staff doused the flame before it could create havoc," they said.
Hospital authorities blame the general electricity department (GED) for poor maintenance of the electrical fittings for the cause of the mishap while the GED employees squarely blame the hospital authorities for not extending adequate cooperation.
Neurosurgery head of the Hospital S S Mishra said: "All the six ACs fitted in the ICU are out of order and the maintenance staffs are not repairing them despite repeated complaints."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership