Coast Guard of WB and Odisha decide joint patrol
Kendrapara (Odisha): The Coast Guard of
Paradip authority has decided to carry out joint sea patrol
with their counterpart in West Bengal to contain Bangladeshi
The Coast Guard units in Paradip and Haldia would act in
cohesion keeping in view the lurking threat. Security agencies
were perturbed over the spurt in piracy and unlawful sea-route
activity, Coast Guard sources said.
For the first time, West Bengal and Odisha organized a
two-day long joint coastal security exercise recently to boost
security in the eastern region.
Coast Guard Director General MP Muralidhar, who was
here on a two-day visit to Odisha, reviewed the coastal
security mechanism to meet future maritime challenges.
"The Coast Guard DG reviewed security set-up and sought
better coordination with state agencies like marine police,
fisheries, forest and sea fishermen. Rescue mission of
distressed vessels and crew also came under discussion," KPS
Raghuvamshi, Deputy Inspector General, Paradip Coast Guard
The arrest of Bangladeshi fishermen on October 22 last
following interception of a fishing vessel off Balasore coast
and killing of three fishermen on January 29 by Bangladeshi
pirates near Sundarban region had exposed loopholes in the
security mechanism, coast guard sources said.
While a series of measures were put in place to bolster
coastal security in the wake of the 26/11 Mumbai terror
strike, refurbished security set up was in evidence in
southern and westerns coasts while eastern coast did not stay
in the list of priorities, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!