Coast Guard to have air enclave in Bhubaneswar
Berhampur (Odisha): In an effort to strengthen surveillance along the Odisha coast, the Indian Coast Guard has decided to set up an air enclave at Bhubaneswar.
With many industrial and port projects coming up along the Odisha coast, the proposed air enclave will be immensely useful. "Better coastal surveillance is necessary to ensure safety of the projects," Commander, Coast Guard (North East) KC Pande said.
At present, air surveillance of the Odisha coast is being carried out by the air enclave in Kolkata and Chennai. At least one aircraft will be stationed at the air enclave being planned in the capital to conduct reconnaissance.
"We expected air surveillance to commence in the next two to three months," said Pande, who was in Ganjam district for the opening of the Coast Guard Station in Gopalpur.
The Coast Guard will strengthen its station in Paradip by adding two interceptor vessels to its fleet, he added.
"The ships will not only serve the 482-km-long coastline of Odisha, but also help in securing the east coast of the country," he said.
These ships can perform high-speed interception, close coast patrol, search and rescue and surveillance.
The coast guard`s Paradip station already has two fast patrol vessels (FPV) and an off-shore patrol vessel (OPV).
Interceptor and high-speed patrolling vessel will be provided to the Gopalpur station once a jetty for the purpose is ready, he added.
The coast guard will also set up a chain of radar stations along the Odisha coastline.
At present, there are two radar stations in Paradip and Gopalpur, with another one likely to be set up in Dhamra.
"The radar can detect any suspicious elements entering the state through the sea route," Pande added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks