Cold wave sweeps Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The cold wave sweeping Odisha on Friday tightened its grip over several districts including the mountainous Kandhamal where the mercury plummeted sharply disrupting normal life.
The lowest temperature of the season was recorded at 3 degree Celsius at Belghar while Daringiri recorded 5.2 degree Celsius today, Meteorological sources said.
The district headquarter town of Phulbani recorded 5.6 degree Celsius, the MeT centre said. The fall in the mercury level has led to increased tourist inflow to the picturesque district particularly Daringbadi, known as the Darjeeling of Odisha.
At present about 60 foreign tourists are visiting the Kandhmal district to enjoy its scenic beauty, green forests, and wildlife, tourist Officer at Kandhamal, Manoranjan Dash said.
Meanwhile, the cold wave has compounded the woes of homeless people. Birds and fishes in ponds in Belghar, Daringbadi, Tumudibandh, Kotagarh, Balliguda and Phulbani areas were found dead due to the cold, sources said.
Attendance at educational institutions in many areas of the tribal dominated district also thinned in the past three days due to the piercing cold, they said.
Elsewhere in the state too, the cold wave intensified with the mercury falling to 7.9 degree Celsius in Keonjhargarh, 8.3 degree Celsius in Sambalpur, 8.9 deg C at Sundargarh, 9 deg C at Titlagarh and Angul and 9.9 deg C in Koraput, the MeT centre here said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations