Combing operations intensified in Ganjam
Berhampur: After eliminating top Maoist leader Pradeep Majhi in an encounter, security forces have intensified combing operation in the border area of Ganjam and Gajapati districts in Odisha by inducting more forces.
Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Special Operations Group (SOG) personnel have joined District Volunteer Force (DVF) and local police to carry out the anti-Maoist operation in the area, a senior police officer said Wednesday.
"We have intensified the combing operation in the area by pressing more forces", DIG(Southern Range) Amitab Thakur said.
Based on intelligence inputs, police suspect members of Sabyasachi Panda`s Maoist group, of which Majhi was considered second-in-command, are hiding inside the dense jungle.
"The area is very dense. The group might have hidden inside the jungle. The security personnel are trying to locate their base by stepping up search operation," Gajapati Superintendent of Police C S Meena said.
Police claimed Panda-led Odisha Maobadi Party (OMP) has been weakened following deaths, arrests and surrenders of his close aides in the last few months.
The latest blow was inflicted on Panda`s group with the killing of Pradip Majhi alias Gobind in an encounter with police on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price