Combing operations intensified in Ganjam
Berhampur: After eliminating top Maoist leader Pradeep Majhi in an encounter, security forces have intensified combing operation in the border area of Ganjam and Gajapati districts in Odisha by inducting more forces.
Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and Special Operations Group (SOG) personnel have joined District Volunteer Force (DVF) and local police to carry out the anti-Maoist operation in the area, a senior police officer said Wednesday.
"We have intensified the combing operation in the area by pressing more forces", DIG(Southern Range) Amitab Thakur said.
Based on intelligence inputs, police suspect members of Sabyasachi Panda`s Maoist group, of which Majhi was considered second-in-command, are hiding inside the dense jungle.
"The area is very dense. The group might have hidden inside the jungle. The security personnel are trying to locate their base by stepping up search operation," Gajapati Superintendent of Police C S Meena said.
Police claimed Panda-led Odisha Maobadi Party (OMP) has been weakened following deaths, arrests and surrenders of his close aides in the last few months.
The latest blow was inflicted on Panda`s group with the killing of Pradip Majhi alias Gobind in an encounter with police on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed