Concept of pooling prices of coal against national interest: Patnaik
Bhubaneswar: Strongly opposing introduction of pooling prices of imported coal with domestic coal, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Wednesday said it will increase transportation costs and consequently the power tariff which is not in the national interest.
"The idea of pooling prices of imported and domestic coal should be dropped," Patnaik said in a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Stating that all pit-head power stations having long term power purchase agreements (PPAs) with distribution companies should be run only on domestic coal, Patnaik said they (Power stations) should not procure any coal through e-auction or imported coal for generation up to 85 per cent PLF (plant load factor) level.
"As fuel cost is a pass through item, due diligence and cost control by the power generators is of paramount importance. The burden of high cost coal over and above the administered price should not be passed on to consumers," he said.
Therefore, pooling prices of imported coal with domestic coal is not in the greater interest of coal rich states like Odisha as it is not based on any economic justification and thus should not be permitted, Patnaik said.
He said the objective of importing coal is to meet the FSA (fuel supply agreement) commitments by coal supply companies while FSA stipulated the power utilities to pay as per the grade variance of coal.
"Extra cost on account of importing high grade coal should be borne by the coal suppliers since they will get benefit of extra revenue due to improvement in grade," the Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar