Cong, BJP boycott Governor`s address in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Amid boycott by the opposition Congress and BJP, Odisha Governor M C Bhandare Thursday said the state with 8.23 per cent average growth during 11th plan sought 9 per cent average annual growth rate in the 12th plan.
Congress MLAs led by Leader of the Opposition Bhupinder Singh walked out of the House on the opening day alleging that the governor`s address sought to highlight the ruling BJD`s agenda for the next polls.
BJP members questioned the governor`s continuation though his term had expired in August last year and alleged that there was a nexus between the BJD and Congress.
In his address, Bhandare said the state`s 12th five year plan (2012-17) envisaged an average growth rate of nine per cent with a projected outlay of Rs 1,24,373 crore showing consistent endeavour for higher economic growth.
Stating that Odisha made impressive achievements in economic growth and poverty reduction, he said an average real annual growth rate of 8.23 per cent was achieved during the 11th plan at 2004-05 prices.
Real per capital income in Odisha at 2004-05 prices increased from Rs 14,862 in 1999-2000 to Rs 26900 in 2011-12, the governor said, adding that poverty in the state declined from 57.2 per cent in 2004-05 to 37 pre cent in 2009-10.
Maintaining that state government made strides on management of public debt, Bhandare said with improvement in the fiscal situation, it had not resorted to Open Market Borrowing since 2005-06.
"Now the focus of my government is efficiency and quality of public spending," he said.
Describing agriculture as the backbone of the state`s economy as top priority sector of the government, he said the state envisaged a growth rate of 4 per cent in agriculture and allied sectors during the 12th plan period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list