Cong blames intelligence for hostage crisis
Bhubaneswar: The Italian hostage crisis
issue figured in Odisha assembly for the second day today with
Opposition Congress alleging failure of intelligence system
as the incident came to light through media four days after
the foreigners were abducted by Maoists.
Though the two Italians were abducted by Maoists on
March 14, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told the assembly
yesterday that the government came to know about the incident
from media only on March 17, Leader of Opposition Bhupinder
Singh said in the house.
It showed the whole intelligence system of the state
police had failed to discharge its duty as such a serious
matter came to the notice of the government through media, he
Singh said the deadline set by the abductors was
approaching and the government must spell out what steps it
was taking to ensure safe release of the hostages.
Another matter of worry was that one negotiator had
expressed his reluctance to be part of the discussion to end
the hostage crisis, he said.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Raghunath Mohanty said
no detail discussion on the hostage crisis was necessary as
the chief minister would inform the house regularly on its
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31