Cong blames intelligence for hostage crisis
Bhubaneswar: The Italian hostage crisis
issue figured in Odisha assembly for the second day today with
Opposition Congress alleging failure of intelligence system
as the incident came to light through media four days after
the foreigners were abducted by Maoists.
Though the two Italians were abducted by Maoists on
March 14, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told the assembly
yesterday that the government came to know about the incident
from media only on March 17, Leader of Opposition Bhupinder
Singh said in the house.
It showed the whole intelligence system of the state
police had failed to discharge its duty as such a serious
matter came to the notice of the government through media, he
Singh said the deadline set by the abductors was
approaching and the government must spell out what steps it
was taking to ensure safe release of the hostages.
Another matter of worry was that one negotiator had
expressed his reluctance to be part of the discussion to end
the hostage crisis, he said.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Raghunath Mohanty said
no detail discussion on the hostage crisis was necessary as
the chief minister would inform the house regularly on its
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH
- 7th Pay Commission: LIVE streaming of FM Jaitley Cabinet briefing
- Instead of holidaying in Bangkok, Ravi Shastri should have been physically present for high-profile coach interview: Sourav Ganguly
- Freedom 251: Will Ringing Bells ever deliver the Rs 251 smartphone?
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 606—Tanushree's plan to denigrate Pragya ends with a facepalm