Cong demands action against then RO
Bhubaneswar: With the Supreme Court setting
aside the election of Independent MLA from Athagarh assembly
seat in Orissa, ruling BJD on Friday said it would study the order
while opposition Congress demanded action against the then
returning officer for illegal rejection of nomination
of the BJD candidate in 2009 polls.
Chief Minister and BJD president Naveen Patnaik said
he learnt about the Supreme Court order from media and the
matter would be examined by the party at length.
However, senior BJD leader and former minister Damodar
Rout demanded a thorough investigation into the matter to
ascertain as to who was instrumental in rejection of the
nomination of party candidate Ranendra Pratap Swain.
He also sought to know who funded the election campaign
and court expenses of Independent legislator Ramesh Rout,
whose election was set aside by the apex court.
While Swain hailed the supreme court verdict as a
"victory of truth and people of Athagarh," Ramesh Rout was not
available for comment.
Congress chief whip in Orissa assembly Prasad Harichandan
demanded action against the then returning officer of Athagarh
constituency as the Supreme Court set aside the election of
Rout on the ground that rejection of nomination paper of BJD
candidate in 2009 polls was illegal.
Orissa Pradesh Congress Committee president Niranjan
Patnaik said the apex court verdict "showed gross misuse of
official machinery during the election."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'
- Chinese ship inaugurates expanded Panama Canal
- Euro 2016: Germany cruise into last eight with 3-0 Slovakia win
- Security in Kashmir reviewed following Pampore attack; Amarnath Yatra to begin soon