Cong demands action against then RO
Bhubaneswar: With the Supreme Court setting
aside the election of Independent MLA from Athagarh assembly
seat in Orissa, ruling BJD on Friday said it would study the order
while opposition Congress demanded action against the then
returning officer for illegal rejection of nomination
of the BJD candidate in 2009 polls.
Chief Minister and BJD president Naveen Patnaik said
he learnt about the Supreme Court order from media and the
matter would be examined by the party at length.
However, senior BJD leader and former minister Damodar
Rout demanded a thorough investigation into the matter to
ascertain as to who was instrumental in rejection of the
nomination of party candidate Ranendra Pratap Swain.
He also sought to know who funded the election campaign
and court expenses of Independent legislator Ramesh Rout,
whose election was set aside by the apex court.
While Swain hailed the supreme court verdict as a
"victory of truth and people of Athagarh," Ramesh Rout was not
available for comment.
Congress chief whip in Orissa assembly Prasad Harichandan
demanded action against the then returning officer of Athagarh
constituency as the Supreme Court set aside the election of
Rout on the ground that rejection of nomination paper of BJD
candidate in 2009 polls was illegal.
Orissa Pradesh Congress Committee president Niranjan
Patnaik said the apex court verdict "showed gross misuse of
official machinery during the election."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp