Cong demands action against then RO
Bhubaneswar: With the Supreme Court setting
aside the election of Independent MLA from Athagarh assembly
seat in Orissa, ruling BJD on Friday said it would study the order
while opposition Congress demanded action against the then
returning officer for illegal rejection of nomination
of the BJD candidate in 2009 polls.
Chief Minister and BJD president Naveen Patnaik said
he learnt about the Supreme Court order from media and the
matter would be examined by the party at length.
However, senior BJD leader and former minister Damodar
Rout demanded a thorough investigation into the matter to
ascertain as to who was instrumental in rejection of the
nomination of party candidate Ranendra Pratap Swain.
He also sought to know who funded the election campaign
and court expenses of Independent legislator Ramesh Rout,
whose election was set aside by the apex court.
While Swain hailed the supreme court verdict as a
"victory of truth and people of Athagarh," Ramesh Rout was not
available for comment.
Congress chief whip in Orissa assembly Prasad Harichandan
demanded action against the then returning officer of Athagarh
constituency as the Supreme Court set aside the election of
Rout on the ground that rejection of nomination paper of BJD
candidate in 2009 polls was illegal.
Orissa Pradesh Congress Committee president Niranjan
Patnaik said the apex court verdict "showed gross misuse of
official machinery during the election."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery