Cong demands CBI probe into mining, chitfund scams
Bhubaneswar: The Opposition Congress on Wednesday demanded a CBI probe into the mining and chitfund scams, and alleged that over Rs 3 lakh crore minerals were looted during the Naveen Patnaik regime and about 20 lakh people duped by ponzi companies with government`s help.
"As MB Shah Commission has indicated the chief minister should hand over the case to CBI to ensure transparency. Naveen and his ministry have no moral authority to remain in power after failing on all fronts," Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan said initiating the debate on a no confidence motion moved by his party against the BJD government.
Retaliating at the Congress salvo, BJD Vice-President and Health minister Damodar Rout said "I don`t understand the Congress`s no confidence move. They have been repeatedly rejected by people of Odisha from gram panchayat to Parliament."
Terming the no-trust move as a publicity stunt, he rejected the demand for a CBI probe into mining and chitfund scandals. "What is there in CBI .. It has been described as a caged bird by the Supreme Court. Chief Minister has already ordered vigilance enquiries into the two scandals."
Harichandan also dubbed the state government as inefficient and disastrous and alleged that it was run by bureaucrats with ministers keeping officers in good humour to survive.
On Patnaik`s charge of central negligence, he claimed that the UPA government sanctioned Rs 52,000 crore to Odisha between 2004 to 2009 while the previous NDA government in which BJD was a partner, gave only Rs 7,000 crore between 1999-2004.
Calling for the BJD government to go, the Congress leader said rapes and murder of women have become the order of the day, while farmers were committing suicide when the state government claimed to have increased food grain production.
Rout, however, asked the opposition not to make rape and murder cases political issues as such incidents were condemned by all and claimed that the state government achieved rare feats in food grain production, poverty reduction, checking IMR, MMR rates and control of crime.
Rout said that a large number of industries came up during the BJD government and that the socio-economic condition of the people had improved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?