Cong for scrapping of port MoUs due to `Rs 4 lakh crore` loss
Bhubaneswar: Opposition Congress on Wednesday demanded cancellation of all MoUs signed with private developers for setting up ports in Odisha, and projected a loss of about Rs four lakh crore to the state due to several deficiencies in the arrangement.
"We demand scrapping of all the MoUs signed with private developers and action against officials responsible for violating norms laid down in the port policy," Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan told reporters outside the House after Speaker cancelled a debate on the port issue.
Alleging that the state government was afraid of a discussion on the port issues, Harichandan said there were deficiencies in all level of implementation of port projects.
Stating that there was no revenue model in the MoUs signed for port project, he said "The CAG has pointed out loss of Rs 10,000 for two ports. If one takes nine ports into consideration, the amount of projected loss would be about Rs four lakh crore," he said.
"Neither independent engineers were engaged to oversee drawing and design and quality parameters, nor financial and operational auditors were engaged by the state government to validate the gross revenue generated and government`s share calculated by the port authorities," Harichandan said quoting the CAG report tabled in the assembly last week.
Criticising the state government for overlooking the law department`s suggestions, he said "The law secretary had categorically said that the port projects should be developed through competitive bidding and not by MoU route."
"I have official documents to prove how senior officers overlooked the suggestions of the law department," Harichandan claimed expressing wonder as to how the major partners were allowed to exit during lock-in-period.
The prime developers in at least three port projects have exited the venture during the lock-in-period, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire