Cong leader dubs Odisha govt as co-conspirator in
Bhubaneswar: Senior Congress leader Narasingha Mishra on Monday alleged before the Judicial Commission probing the Kandhamal communal riot that the state
administration had been a "co-conspirator" in the crime by
Mishra said this while deposing before the Judicial
Commission headed by Justice SC Mohapatra after being
summoned by the panel basing on his statement made in the
assembly as the deputy leader of Congress Legislature Party.
"In my statement, I informed the commission that the
state government was co-conspirator in the riot that took
place on the night of December 24, 2007," Mishra said.
Mishra said a group of Christians including local
church leaders had met the then superintendent of police and
collector of Kandhamal before the violence and informed them
about the volatile situation there.
But they did not take any action to prevent the riot,
Accusing the state`s BJD government of acting hand in
gloves with the rioters, Mishra said the then SP and Collector
should have been punished for negligence.
"Inaction on part of the government in the 2007 riot
led to killing of Swami Laxamananda Saraswati and a massive
violence in the aftermath," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details