Cong suggests Naveen Patnaik to resign over coal issue
Bhubaneswar: Advising Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik to resign over the coal scandal and set an example, Opposition Congress on Wednesday demanded a CBI probe into coal block allocations made by the state`s BJD government.
"Will the Chief Minister resign on his own and set an example for others over the coal issue? We do not demand his resignation. But the chief minister should resign before the BJD demands resignation of Prime Minister," said Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan.
Justifying Congress suggestions of resignation to the Chief Minister, Harichandan said though the Centre attempted to introduce bidding process for coal block allocation in 2005, it was strongly opposed by Odisha government.
However, the Chief Minister is now claiming that the state government has been asking for auction-based system for allocation of mineral resources including coal, he said.
"The Chief Minister is telling untruths. Neither he nor his government has ever suggested bidding route for coal block allocation. Therefore, we suggest him to tender resignation and set an example for others," he said.
Harichandan said this in the assembly while initiating the debate on coal issue which could not be taken up yesterday due to uproar. He claimed that the state government had already admitted making recommendations in favour of private companies for coal block allocation.
Noting that Patnaik had written several letters to the Prime Minister and Union Coal Minister recommending names of private companies for coal blocks, the Congress Chief Whip alleged that the state government had been pushing cases of Independent Power Producers (IPPs).
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know