Congress MLAs create ruckus in Odisha Assembly
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Assembly on Friday witnessed pandemonium with Opposition Congress members storming into the well demanding a special discussion on the plight of farmers, forcing frequent adjournments.
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat adjourned the House first till 12 noon and then till 3 pm after being unable to run the proceedings due to the uproar. The House functioned for less than 15 minutes before it was adjourned till 3 pm.
Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress raised the issue of farmers as soon as the House assembled for the day. "We demand cancellation of the Question Hour and hold a discussion on the plight of the farmers`," Singh said.
As Singh was speaking from his seat, other Congress legislators rushed to the well holding placards and shouting anti-government slogans dubbing ruling BJD as "anti-farmer." The opposition members were enraged after the speaker refused to take an adjournment motion given by Congress.
The Speaker refused to accept a Congress notice of adjournment motion on the plea that the matter involved at least three departments, agriculture, cooperation and food supplies. "As one (agriculture) minister cannot give reply for all the three departments, it is not possible to allow the adjournment motion," Amat said.
Opposition members, however, insisted acceptance of their notice and demanded a debate cancelling Question Hour.
Government chief whip Pravat Tripathy claimed that state government was ready for any discussion but opposition should give adjournment notice under suitable section so that the debate can be held smoothly.
Congress alleged that farmers were denied crop insurance due to negligence of the state government which did not submit crop cutting report at right time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof