Congress moves privilege notice against Naveen Patnaik
Bhubaneswar: The Opposition Congress on Tuesday served a privilege notice against Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik accusing him of making a policy announcement outside the Assembly when the house was in session.
The notice was served by Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan during the zero hour who said "This (announcing a tax policy) is a clear breach of privilege by the chief minister."
The Chief Minister had announced that his government was willing to reduce the rate of VAT to five per cent on Aviation Turbine Fuel during the inauguration of the passenger terminal at the Biju Patnaik Airport here on March 5, Harichandan alleged.
"How can the government announce the tax policy decision outside the House," Harichandan asked.
Defending Patnaik, Parliamentary Affairs minister Kalpataru Das said the chief minister had not made any new announcement. "The chief minister had said the government will examine reduction of rate of VAT to five per cent."
Harichandan, however, claimed that Patnaik had categorically said that the government was willing to reduce the rate of VAT on ATF to 5 per cent.
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat said "I will examine the privilege notice moved by the Congress member."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read