Congress moves privilege notice against Naveen Patnaik
Bhubaneswar: The Opposition Congress on Tuesday served a privilege notice against Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik accusing him of making a policy announcement outside the Assembly when the house was in session.
The notice was served by Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan during the zero hour who said "This (announcing a tax policy) is a clear breach of privilege by the chief minister."
The Chief Minister had announced that his government was willing to reduce the rate of VAT to five per cent on Aviation Turbine Fuel during the inauguration of the passenger terminal at the Biju Patnaik Airport here on March 5, Harichandan alleged.
"How can the government announce the tax policy decision outside the House," Harichandan asked.
Defending Patnaik, Parliamentary Affairs minister Kalpataru Das said the chief minister had not made any new announcement. "The chief minister had said the government will examine reduction of rate of VAT to five per cent."
Harichandan, however, claimed that Patnaik had categorically said that the government was willing to reduce the rate of VAT on ATF to 5 per cent.
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat said "I will examine the privilege notice moved by the Congress member."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!