Congress moves privilege notice against Naveen Patnaik
Bhubaneswar: The Opposition Congress on Tuesday served a privilege notice against Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik accusing him of making a policy announcement outside the Assembly when the house was in session.
The notice was served by Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan during the zero hour who said "This (announcing a tax policy) is a clear breach of privilege by the chief minister."
The Chief Minister had announced that his government was willing to reduce the rate of VAT to five per cent on Aviation Turbine Fuel during the inauguration of the passenger terminal at the Biju Patnaik Airport here on March 5, Harichandan alleged.
"How can the government announce the tax policy decision outside the House," Harichandan asked.
Defending Patnaik, Parliamentary Affairs minister Kalpataru Das said the chief minister had not made any new announcement. "The chief minister had said the government will examine reduction of rate of VAT to five per cent."
Harichandan, however, claimed that Patnaik had categorically said that the government was willing to reduce the rate of VAT on ATF to 5 per cent.
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat said "I will examine the privilege notice moved by the Congress member."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez