Congress questions BJD`s `silence` on price rise
Bhubaneswar: Mounting a scathing attack on the BJP-led NDA government at the Centre for rise in prices of petrol, diesel, cooking gas and vegetables, Congress today accused Odisha`s ruling BJD of being silent on these issues due to the CBI probe into chit-fund and other scams.
"Anti-people decisions and policies of the Narendra Modi government have amply proved the hollowness of BJP`s promise of bringing good days for people," Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) President Jaydev Jena said in a statement.
The Rs 16.50-hike in LPG price barely 24 hours after union petroleum minister Dharmendra Pradhan`s reported statement that there would be no immediate hike in prices has surprised people, Jena claimed.
Equally baffling is the stoic silence on the part of Naveen Patnaik led BJD over price rise, he said BJD workers used to stage protest demonstrations even against a 50 paise hike in prices of petrol and diesel during the UPA regime.
Stating that hypocrisy of BJD as well as BJP had now been exposed, the PCC chief said people are reeling under the skyrocketing prices of vegetables.
"Perhaps BJD is compelled to remain silent on anti-people policy of the NDA government as CBI probe into chit-fund and mining scams were hanging over the Naveen Patnaik government," Jena claimed.
Odisha people have faced a double jeopardy as the BJD government had increased tax on petrol and diesel a couple of weeks ago which led to rise in prices of petroleum products and now the Union Government has effected an increase, said Jena, asking the state government to cut the tax rate and then demand a roll back.
Accusing both BJP and BJD of betraying people of Odisha after getting votes in recent elections, the PCC president said prices of onion, potato and other vegetables have gone beyond the reach of the common man in Odisha as the state government failed to intervene properly in the market and check black-marketing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister