Congress tribal leader Ramachandra Ulaka dies
Bhubaneswar: Veteran tribal Congress
leader and former Orissa Minister Ramachandra Ulaka died here
following a heart attack early on Sunday, family sources said.
The 77-year-old Ulaka complained of breathing problem
and was taken to hospital where doctors declared him dead in
the wee hours, they said.
Hailing from the tribal dominated Rayagada district,
Ulaka was an eight-time MLA and a member of Parliament twice.
The Congress leader was minister in the state for
five times and held portfolios like tribal welfare,
environment and forest and mass education, sources said.
Active in political and social arena till the end, the
veteran tribal leader had also been the leader of opposition
in Orissa assembly in 2009.
A host of leaders and other dignitaries have condoled
the death of Ulaka describing him as a popular leader who
worked sincerely for the welfare of tribals and poor.
Shops and business establishments downed their
shutters as a mark of respect to the departed leader.
Ulaka`s body was taken to his native place Rayagada
for cremation, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why