Construction work for road to Posco site resumes
Paradip: Construction work of a coastal road, aimed at linking the proposed Posco project site in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur district, resumed on Tuesday after remaining suspended for over 90 days due to protest by the people.
Construction work for the 10-km coastal road from Mahal
near IOCL refinery up to the proposed Posco site is in
progress with the help of hi-tech machines and equipment,
officials of the agency undertaking the work, said today.
"The contractor has got the work order for undertaking
the road project from IIDCO (Industrial Infrastructure
Development Corporation of Orissa)", Additional District
Magistrate (ADM), Paradip, Surjeet Das said.
The district administration, he said has little role
in the coastal road construction work.
After facing resistance from the people, particularly
from Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS), the contractor
could not go ahead with the project and had to suspend the
work on September 26, official sources said.
The agitation by PPSS was continuing at Gobindpur under
the leadership of former CPI MLA N Narayan Reddy in the
absence of its leader Abhay Sahoo who was jailed last month.
Even as PPSS activists were determined to oppose removal
of betel vines and acquisition of these land in Dhinikia-
Gobindpur area, the district administration was mobilising
police force in the area for the purpose.
"We have got some applications from people in Dhinkia
and Gobindpur area for removal of betel vines and hand over of
the land. We will do it as soon as possible", Das said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH