Construction work for road to Posco site resumes
Paradip: Construction work of a coastal road, aimed at linking the proposed Posco project site in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur district, resumed on Tuesday after remaining suspended for over 90 days due to protest by the people.
Construction work for the 10-km coastal road from Mahal
near IOCL refinery up to the proposed Posco site is in
progress with the help of hi-tech machines and equipment,
officials of the agency undertaking the work, said today.
"The contractor has got the work order for undertaking
the road project from IIDCO (Industrial Infrastructure
Development Corporation of Orissa)", Additional District
Magistrate (ADM), Paradip, Surjeet Das said.
The district administration, he said has little role
in the coastal road construction work.
After facing resistance from the people, particularly
from Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS), the contractor
could not go ahead with the project and had to suspend the
work on September 26, official sources said.
The agitation by PPSS was continuing at Gobindpur under
the leadership of former CPI MLA N Narayan Reddy in the
absence of its leader Abhay Sahoo who was jailed last month.
Even as PPSS activists were determined to oppose removal
of betel vines and acquisition of these land in Dhinikia-
Gobindpur area, the district administration was mobilising
police force in the area for the purpose.
"We have got some applications from people in Dhinkia
and Gobindpur area for removal of betel vines and hand over of
the land. We will do it as soon as possible", Das said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?