Contesting polls is this man`s favourite pastime
Berhampur: For some, contesting elections may be a do or die situation but for Berhampur`s K Shyam Babu Subudhi, who has fought Lok Sabha and Assembly Elections 27 times but has never won, being in the poll fray is just a `hobby`.
This 78-year-old Independent candidate is going to contest from both Berhampur and Aska Lok Sabha constituencies for the elections scheduled on April 10 and has already kicked-off his campaigning in style.
"I will file my nomination papers on the first day from Berhampur on March 15 and the next day from Aska," he said.
Subudhi who has set a target for himself of contesting more elections than anybody else in the country, said, "When I contest, certainly I hope to win... And this time, my chances are very good as people are fed-up with others."
A homoeopathy practitioner, who lost his deposits in all, 17 Lok Sabha and 10 Assembly Elections he has contested so far, Subudhi said it has always been his aim to reform the electoral process.
Subudhi first entered the poll arena from Hinjili assembly segment in 1957 and fought against former minister and political stalwart Brundaban Nayak.
Since then, Subudhi has crossed swords with several political heavyweights including former prime minister PV Narsimha Rao, former chief ministers Biju Patnaik and JB Patnaik in different polls.
Without any vehicle or cutouts for him, Subudhi uses his bicycle for local campaigning and for far-off areas he takes trains or buses.
"I also campaign in the train and bus when I travel. My expenditure is limited and provided by my well-wishers."
"I will contest till my last breath... I want to reform the election process and free it from money and muscle influences," he stressed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof