Contractor shot dead in Malkangiri
Malkangiri: Maoists shot dead a contractor, whom they suspected of being a police informer, in Orissa`s Malkangiri district, police said on Saturday.
A group of rebels asked contractor Purna Chandra Dalai (52), also a local BJP leader, to come out from his house near Chitrakonda, about 55 km from here last night, Superintendent of Police Anirudh Singh said.
Dalai was taken to an isolated place and gunned down near a boat ferry point, he said, adding the body was later found by the villagers.
Security personnel have been sent to the area to conduct combing operation and patrolling has been undertaken in the Naxal-hit area, police said.
According to the villagers, ultras had accused the victim of being an informer. However, sources said extortion bid was suspected to be the reason behind the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption