Contractor shot dead in Malkangiri
Malkangiri: Maoists shot dead a contractor, whom they suspected of being a police informer, in Orissa`s Malkangiri district, police said on Saturday.
A group of rebels asked contractor Purna Chandra Dalai (52), also a local BJP leader, to come out from his house near Chitrakonda, about 55 km from here last night, Superintendent of Police Anirudh Singh said.
Dalai was taken to an isolated place and gunned down near a boat ferry point, he said, adding the body was later found by the villagers.
Security personnel have been sent to the area to conduct combing operation and patrolling has been undertaken in the Naxal-hit area, police said.
According to the villagers, ultras had accused the victim of being an informer. However, sources said extortion bid was suspected to be the reason behind the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'