Contractor shot dead in Malkangiri
Malkangiri: Maoists shot dead a contractor, whom they suspected of being a police informer, in Orissa`s Malkangiri district, police said on Saturday.
A group of rebels asked contractor Purna Chandra Dalai (52), also a local BJP leader, to come out from his house near Chitrakonda, about 55 km from here last night, Superintendent of Police Anirudh Singh said.
Dalai was taken to an isolated place and gunned down near a boat ferry point, he said, adding the body was later found by the villagers.
Security personnel have been sent to the area to conduct combing operation and patrolling has been undertaken in the Naxal-hit area, police said.
According to the villagers, ultras had accused the victim of being an informer. However, sources said extortion bid was suspected to be the reason behind the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister