Contractor shot dead in Malkangiri
Malkangiri: Maoists shot dead a contractor, whom they suspected of being a police informer, in Orissa`s Malkangiri district, police said on Saturday.
A group of rebels asked contractor Purna Chandra Dalai (52), also a local BJP leader, to come out from his house near Chitrakonda, about 55 km from here last night, Superintendent of Police Anirudh Singh said.
Dalai was taken to an isolated place and gunned down near a boat ferry point, he said, adding the body was later found by the villagers.
Security personnel have been sent to the area to conduct combing operation and patrolling has been undertaken in the Naxal-hit area, police said.
According to the villagers, ultras had accused the victim of being an informer. However, sources said extortion bid was suspected to be the reason behind the killing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the impact of secret data leak of Scorpene submarine on India's security
- DNA: Analyzing the impact of secret data leak of Scorpene submarine on India's security Part II
- DNA: Analyzing the possible hands indulged in Scorpene Submarine data leak
- DNA: Analyzing the media coverage on Kashmir violence
- DNA: PM Modi's photos and Indian flag raised during protests in Balochistan