Controversy shrouds Ravenshaw girl`s mysterious death
Cuttack: Death of a Ravenshaw University girl student, whose dead body was retrieved by the Railway police from a railway track here Thursday evening, snowballed into a major controversy today when the girl`s father refusing to buy police claim, suspect that his daughter was murdered.
Police, however, after preliminary investigation and on the basis of circumstantial evidences believe that the girl either died falling accidentally from a running train or committed suicide.
"We are investigating all angles and are now waiting for the postmortem report," said a senior railway police here on Friday evening.
According to reports, the body of the first year degree student was found lying along the railway tracks near Gopalpur, on the outskirts of the city here.
The girl had sustained deep injuries in both her thighs and police found packets of rat kill and a train ticket from Cuttack to Bhubaneswar from her college bag that also contained her University identity card.
A brilliant student pursuing economics honours was staying in the University hostel and she was reportedly upset yesterday after her semester examination for she left a six-mark question unattended. She, however, obtained an "out pass" from the hostel superintendent to go for marketing in the evening, university sources said.
On the other hand the girl`s father, who reached here from Rayagada today, is unable to reconcile with the police claim that his daughter might have committed suicide.
"I had talked to her twice over telephone on Thursday and during our conversions, she did not appear upset," the girl`s father said adding she might have been murdered by her competitors with criminal mindset.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror