Couple killed as house collapses in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A middle-aged couple was killed early Monday when their house collapsed in Odisha`s Subarnapur district, police said.
The incident occurred at Jambhalipali village, about 300 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, when 40-year-old Nata Nayak and his 35-year-old wife Surabali Nayak were asleep.
A wall, which was weakened and was in a dilapidated condition due to incessant rains for the last few days, collapsed on the couple.
Local residents took the couple to a hospital where doctors declared them dead.
The couple is survived by two daughters and a son who had a miraculous escape, police inspector NR Sarangi told a news agency.
On Sunday, four people, including two minor girls, were killed in the temple town of Puri in coastal Odisha after a dilapidated two-storey building came down.
In another incident, two women of a family were killed when a cowshed collapsed at Ektali village in Balasore district the same day. Four cows were also killed in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Dia Mirza 'dissatisfied' with scripts being offered to her
- Earthquake hits Haryana's Mahendragarh; tremors felt in Delhi, NCR
- Microsoft's OneNote tool now available for Mac
- Olympics 2016: Goodbye Rio, over to Tokyo now for 2020 Games
- Maharashtra to call special assembly session on Aug 29 to ratify GST Bill