Couple killed as house collapses in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A middle-aged couple was killed early Monday when their house collapsed in Odisha`s Subarnapur district, police said.
The incident occurred at Jambhalipali village, about 300 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, when 40-year-old Nata Nayak and his 35-year-old wife Surabali Nayak were asleep.
A wall, which was weakened and was in a dilapidated condition due to incessant rains for the last few days, collapsed on the couple.
Local residents took the couple to a hospital where doctors declared them dead.
The couple is survived by two daughters and a son who had a miraculous escape, police inspector NR Sarangi told a news agency.
On Sunday, four people, including two minor girls, were killed in the temple town of Puri in coastal Odisha after a dilapidated two-storey building came down.
In another incident, two women of a family were killed when a cowshed collapsed at Ektali village in Balasore district the same day. Four cows were also killed in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!