Couple killed as house collapses in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A middle-aged couple was killed early Monday when their house collapsed in Odisha`s Subarnapur district, police said.
The incident occurred at Jambhalipali village, about 300 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, when 40-year-old Nata Nayak and his 35-year-old wife Surabali Nayak were asleep.
A wall, which was weakened and was in a dilapidated condition due to incessant rains for the last few days, collapsed on the couple.
Local residents took the couple to a hospital where doctors declared them dead.
The couple is survived by two daughters and a son who had a miraculous escape, police inspector NR Sarangi told a news agency.
On Sunday, four people, including two minor girls, were killed in the temple town of Puri in coastal Odisha after a dilapidated two-storey building came down.
In another incident, two women of a family were killed when a cowshed collapsed at Ektali village in Balasore district the same day. Four cows were also killed in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months