Court convicts 24 people for Kandhamal riots
Phulbani (Orissa): A fast-track court in
Orissa`s Kandhamal district on Friday sentenced 24 people to three
years of rigorous imprisonment besides slapping a fine of
Rs 1,000 each in connection with the 2008 communal riots.
Pronouncing the judgement, judge S K Das also acquitted
six other persons due to lack of evidence.
The convicts were charged with house burning, rioting and
unlawful assembly in Kurminga village under G Udayagiri police
station in September 2008.
In another case, the court acquitted four persons of
charges of setting afire a police out-post at Pasara under
Tikabali police station in the district in August 2008.
The tribal-dominated district had witnessed communal
violence in the aftermath of the killing of senior VHP leader
Swami Laxmananda Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital