Court convicts 24 people for Kandhamal riots
Phulbani (Orissa): A fast-track court in
Orissa`s Kandhamal district on Friday sentenced 24 people to three
years of rigorous imprisonment besides slapping a fine of
Rs 1,000 each in connection with the 2008 communal riots.
Pronouncing the judgement, judge S K Das also acquitted
six other persons due to lack of evidence.
The convicts were charged with house burning, rioting and
unlawful assembly in Kurminga village under G Udayagiri police
station in September 2008.
In another case, the court acquitted four persons of
charges of setting afire a police out-post at Pasara under
Tikabali police station in the district in August 2008.
The tribal-dominated district had witnessed communal
violence in the aftermath of the killing of senior VHP leader
Swami Laxmananda Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon