Court convicts 24 people for Kandhamal riots
Phulbani (Orissa): A fast-track court in
Orissa`s Kandhamal district on Friday sentenced 24 people to three
years of rigorous imprisonment besides slapping a fine of
Rs 1,000 each in connection with the 2008 communal riots.
Pronouncing the judgement, judge S K Das also acquitted
six other persons due to lack of evidence.
The convicts were charged with house burning, rioting and
unlawful assembly in Kurminga village under G Udayagiri police
station in September 2008.
In another case, the court acquitted four persons of
charges of setting afire a police out-post at Pasara under
Tikabali police station in the district in August 2008.
The tribal-dominated district had witnessed communal
violence in the aftermath of the killing of senior VHP leader
Swami Laxmananda Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report