Court convicts 24 people for Kandhamal riots
Phulbani (Orissa): A fast-track court in
Orissa`s Kandhamal district on Friday sentenced 24 people to three
years of rigorous imprisonment besides slapping a fine of
Rs 1,000 each in connection with the 2008 communal riots.
Pronouncing the judgement, judge S K Das also acquitted
six other persons due to lack of evidence.
The convicts were charged with house burning, rioting and
unlawful assembly in Kurminga village under G Udayagiri police
station in September 2008.
In another case, the court acquitted four persons of
charges of setting afire a police out-post at Pasara under
Tikabali police station in the district in August 2008.
The tribal-dominated district had witnessed communal
violence in the aftermath of the killing of senior VHP leader
Swami Laxmananda Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?