Court convicts 24 people for Kandhamal riots
Phulbani (Orissa): A fast-track court in
Orissa`s Kandhamal district on Friday sentenced 24 people to three
years of rigorous imprisonment besides slapping a fine of
Rs 1,000 each in connection with the 2008 communal riots.
Pronouncing the judgement, judge S K Das also acquitted
six other persons due to lack of evidence.
The convicts were charged with house burning, rioting and
unlawful assembly in Kurminga village under G Udayagiri police
station in September 2008.
In another case, the court acquitted four persons of
charges of setting afire a police out-post at Pasara under
Tikabali police station in the district in August 2008.
The tribal-dominated district had witnessed communal
violence in the aftermath of the killing of senior VHP leader
Swami Laxmananda Saraswati on August 23, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional