CPI demands CBI inquiry into ponzi scams in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Terming the judicial probe ordered by Odisha government into the chitfund scam in the state as an `eyewash`, CPI on Monday demanded a CBI inquiry into the scandal and confiscation of properties of ponzi firms to refund the duped investors.
"Fraud chitfund companies have duped people of thousands of crores of rupees in Odisha, but the judicial inquiry ordered by the state government into the scam is simply an eyewash to save its skin," CPI national secretary D Raja told reporters here.
Since there are allegations of involvement of many influential political leaders in the scam, it must be investigated by CBI or in an independent and impartial manner under the supervision of the High Court, he said.
The state government should also take immediate steps for confiscating all movable and immovable properties of fraud chitfund companies for making payment to the people who had invested their hard earned money with them, he said.
Steps should be taken for bringing strong laws against ponzi schemes to prevent recurrence of such scams, the CPI leader added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday