CPI demands CBI inquiry into ponzi scams in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Terming the judicial probe ordered by Odisha government into the chitfund scam in the state as an `eyewash`, CPI on Monday demanded a CBI inquiry into the scandal and confiscation of properties of ponzi firms to refund the duped investors.
"Fraud chitfund companies have duped people of thousands of crores of rupees in Odisha, but the judicial inquiry ordered by the state government into the scam is simply an eyewash to save its skin," CPI national secretary D Raja told reporters here.
Since there are allegations of involvement of many influential political leaders in the scam, it must be investigated by CBI or in an independent and impartial manner under the supervision of the High Court, he said.
The state government should also take immediate steps for confiscating all movable and immovable properties of fraud chitfund companies for making payment to the people who had invested their hard earned money with them, he said.
Steps should be taken for bringing strong laws against ponzi schemes to prevent recurrence of such scams, the CPI leader added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional