CPI demands shifting of POSCO plant
Paradip: Vehemently opposing the proposed
Posco steel plant in Orissa`s Jagatsinghpur district, CPI
demanded immediate shifting of the project elsewhere asking
the state government to refrain from repressive moves.
"There is an attempt to set up Posco plant in the area
forcibly. We demand its immediate shifting", CPI general
secretary AB Bardhan and party leaders D Raja told a meeting
at Patana under Dhinkia panchyat near here last evening.
Demanding immediate release of arrested anti-Posco
movement leader Abhaya Sahu from jail, Bardhan alleged he was
implicated in false charges.
Asking Odisha government to refrain from repressive
measures against anti-Posco movement leaders, the CPI leaders
said the issue would be raised by their party in Parliament.
Because of people`s resistance, Odisha government had
not been able to enter the Posco site for last six years. Now,
in view of the coming panchayat elections, the government had
arrested Sahu, they claimed.
In its three-day ongoing state executive meeting at
Paradip, CPI adopted a political resolution condemning the
Centre`s decision to allow FDI in retail sector.
Over 1.6 crore retail shops in the country providing
direct or indirect employment to over four crore people and
over 16 crore people depending on it would suffer.
The party also supported the Bharat Bandh call given
by retailers against FDI on December one.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged