CPI(M) demands cyclone Phailin be declared a national calamity
Bhubaneswar: With Odisha incurring huge loss of property and standing crops due to cyclone Phailin and resultant floods, CPI(M) on Saturday demanded declaration of the situation as a national calamity besides waiver of agricultural loan for the year 2013-14.
"The devastation caused by Phailin be declared as a National Calamity and the Central Government should shoulder the lion`s share of the responsibility of relief and restoration," the CPI(M) in a memorandum to the Odisha Governor said.
Stating that the central government should send a team immediately to assess the loss, the CPI(M) said that the people who have lost their houses in the calamity should be provided with safe houses to be built at an expense of Rs 1 lakh each. The central government should share 90 per cent of responsibility for the project, they said.
Asking the Centre to provide financial assistance of Rs 12,000 per acre of crop loss, the Left party said that the farmers need to be provided with free inputs and interest free agricultural loan.
The party also suggested several measures including steps to check migration of affected people, employment for artisans, support for students and others for the welfare of the cyclone-flood affected districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate