Crop loss on Orissa floods upto 80%: Central team
Bhubaneswar: Upto 80 percent crop loss
was estimated due to Orissa flood which had also caused large
scale damage to "Kuchha" houses, an inter-ministerial central
team on Wednesday said.
"The crop loss varies from place to place. It could be
about 50 to 80 per cent in Sambalpur and Jajpur respectively.
Agricultural fields were submerged by flood water for over a
week. Therefore, there is no chance of getting any return from
cultivation," M C Diwakar, director, Directorate of Rice
Development, Ministry of Agriculture, Patna, said.
Diwakar along with three others visited several places
in western Orissa yesterday and some parts of Puri today.
The inter-ministerial central team led by O P Mahey,
joint secretary in ministry of home affairs, along with
six-members arrived here today to make a damage assessment
A four member sub-team had already visited Sambalpur,
Bargarh and Jajpur districts and undertook an aerial survey of
Kendrapara and Bhadrak.
"We have seen large scale damage of kuccha houses in
Jajpur, Puri and other places," Sunil Kumar Verma, the
chief engineer, ministry of Road Transport and Highways, said.
Mahey said the inter-ministrial group would submit its
report to the Centre within 10 days after concluding their
visit to flood hit districts in the state on September 30.
Of the 30 districts in the state, 20 had been badly
hit by the current floods where massive crop loss and house
damage had been reported, special relief commissioner
(SRC) P K Mohapatra said while briefing the the central team
"According to preliminary report, the second spell of
flood caused crop loss over 2.23 lakh hectare of agricultural
land besides damaging 38,939 houses, Mohapatra said adding
that the loss of crop and house damage was much more in the
first spell of flood in Mahanadi river system.
He, however, said the state government would submit a
detailed damage assessment report to the Centre after water
fully receded in affected areas.
The state government had submitted a memorandum to the
centre demanding Rs 2121 crore as compensation towards loss
due to the first spell of flood in Mahanadi river system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical