Crop loss on Orissa floods upto 80%: Central team

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 18:55

Bhubaneswar: Upto 80 percent crop loss
was estimated due to Orissa flood which had also caused large
scale damage to "Kuchha" houses, an inter-ministerial central
team on Wednesday said.
"The crop loss varies from place to place. It could be
about 50 to 80 per cent in Sambalpur and Jajpur respectively.
Agricultural fields were submerged by flood water for over a
week. Therefore, there is no chance of getting any return from
cultivation," M C Diwakar, director, Directorate of Rice
Development, Ministry of Agriculture, Patna, said.

Diwakar along with three others visited several places
in western Orissa yesterday and some parts of Puri today.

The inter-ministerial central team led by O P Mahey,
joint secretary in ministry of home affairs, along with
six-members arrived here today to make a damage assessment
report.

A four member sub-team had already visited Sambalpur,
Bargarh and Jajpur districts and undertook an aerial survey of
Kendrapara and Bhadrak.
"We have seen large scale damage of kuccha houses in
Jajpur, Puri and other places," Sunil Kumar Verma, the
chief engineer, ministry of Road Transport and Highways, said.
Mahey said the inter-ministrial group would submit its
report to the Centre within 10 days after concluding their
visit to flood hit districts in the state on September 30.

Of the 30 districts in the state, 20 had been badly
hit by the current floods where massive crop loss and house
damage had been reported, special relief commissioner
(SRC) P K Mohapatra said while briefing the the central team
here.

"According to preliminary report, the second spell of
flood caused crop loss over 2.23 lakh hectare of agricultural
land besides damaging 38,939 houses, Mohapatra said adding
that the loss of crop and house damage was much more in the
first spell of flood in Mahanadi river system.

He, however, said the state government would submit a
detailed damage assessment report to the Centre after water
fully receded in affected areas.

The state government had submitted a memorandum to the
centre demanding Rs 2121 crore as compensation towards loss
due to the first spell of flood in Mahanadi river system.

PTI



First Published: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 18:55

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus