Cuttack city ignored by Orissa govt: HC
Cuttack: Orissa High Court has approved the allegation of the state`s Opposition parties that Cuttack city had been grossly neglected by the Naveen Patnaik government.
A Division Bench of the High Court yesterday observed that "The state government is not interested to provide proper services to the people of Cuttack city".
This observation from the bench of Justice BP Das and Justice MM Das came when it was informed that the state government had failed to extend the newly-introduced city bus services from Bhubaneswar to Cuttack city.
The same bench had in February this year directed the state government to provide services of at least 15 buses to Cuttack city from March 31.
Taking strong exception to the government`s inaction and rejecting the Advocate General`s affidavit for a two-month extension of the deadline, terming it as "evasive", the High Court once again ordered the transport secretary to run the
city buses from Bhubaneswar to Cuttack from May 1.
"If the government fails this time, it would be viewed as contempt of court and appropriate action would be initiated," the Bench said.
The High Court had earlier given the same direction last year asking the government to ensure that at least 40 town buses run between the twin cities.
But the government was noncommittal on it following which several cases were filed urging the court to issue fresh directives to the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report