Cuttack Municipal Corporation council meeting likely on May 30, says deputy mayor
Cuttack: All eyes are now focussed on the first council meeting of newly formed Cuttack Municipal Corporation (CMC) scheduled by this month-end.
Despite the formation of the new council after the February 6 civic body elections, it has not even met once during the past three months putting the civic affairs of the city in utter disarray.
"Soon after the formation of the council and elections of the Mayor and Deputy Mayor, the model code of conduct came into force in view of the general elections and therefore the council could not be convened in all these days," said senior BJD corporator Chiranjay Sahu.
But even after complete relaxation of the code of conduct since May 18, no effort is being made yet to convene the council meeting to discuss the inherent civic problems of the city, which have assumed serious proportion. Sources however, confirmed today that the first meeting of the newly formed council is likely to be held on May 30.
"We are going to form all the standing committees of the civic body by May 27 and convene the council meeting on May 30," said CMC deputy mayor Ajay Barik.
The first council meeting is likely to take up the crucial water logging issue seriously in view of the onset of monsoon, Barik said.
Meanwhile, the civic body officials are now working overtime to meet the Orissa High Court deadline to complete the de-siltation of all drains of the city by May 31. The High Court last month had set up a committee under the State Advocate General to ensure the de-siltation of drains is complete by May 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official