Cuttack: Panic in villages as embankment caves in
Cuttack: Panic gripped riverside villages
located near Mahanadi on the eastern limits of Cuttack city
when a large patch of river embankment gave way during the
first showers of monsoon.
The breach in the embankment appeared yesterday as it
was made fragile due to unauthorised digging by a private
company which is laying water pipes here affecting the safety
of the embankment and that of the local residents.
"If this has happened to the embankment after only one
shower this season, we are afraid the situation would be
catastrophic when the river would be in spate in a while,"
said anguished villager Sukanta Panda.
Residents of Kanheipur, Bhadimul, Keshpur and
Bidyadharpur along with leper settlements of Gandhipally and
Nehrupally under Chauliaganj police station here are a worried
lot ever since the embankment was dug up for laying pipelines.
"Despite our protests before the district
administration and local legislator, the company engaged
continues to weaken the embankment," alleged another villager
from Bhadimul adding that the villagers have no other
alternative but to seek legal recourse for their safety.
Mahanadi Bachao Andolana (MBA), which is opposing
diversion of river water for industrial purposes in the state
has taken up cudgels on behalf of the villagers and has warned
that they would approach the Orissa High Court soon through a
PIL seeking the court`s intervention as the district
administration as well as the local representative have not
bothered about the concern of the villagers.
Meanwhile, Opposition Congress too has taken up the
issue alleging that the local administration and the people`s
representative are hand-in-glove with the company laying
pipelines along the embankment.
"We have no other option but to take the law onto our
hands," said Cuttack district Congress president Prakash
Behera after visiting the spot.
Local legislator Pravat Ranjan Biswal of BJD had gone
ahead with laying the foundation stone for strengthening the
embankment in April this year to the dismay of locals when the
officials of the private company joined the occasion as
guests, sources said.
"But more than two months after the foundation stone
laying ceremony, the tender is yet to be finalised while
instead of strengthening the embankment by the government, the
private company is continuing its activities here," alleges
local MBA leader Dillip Mallick.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow