Cuttack relief loot case: RDC, DM initiates joint probe
Cuttack: Revenue Divisional Commissioner (RDC) Central Division RDC Arvind Padhee and Cuttack District Magistrate Girish S N today began a joint enquiry into the `relief loot` allegations against some ruling BJD corporators of Cuttack Municipal Corporation (CMC).
Both the officials went to the CMC office and quizzed the CMC commissioner N R Mohapatra and several corporators on the allegations.
"We are making a comprehensive enquiry into the allegations, which are serious in nature and on the basis of our findings, actions shall be taken against those found guilty," the RDC told reporters.
Meanwhile, the CMC commissioner has asked all the corporators to return the excess of relief materials they had forcibly taken away from the CMC office on October 12, the day after the devastating cyclone hit the state.
"The corporators have been asked to submit the details of the relief materials they had taken, how much of it were distributed along with proof and return back the excess quantity to the civic body within seven days," Mohapatra said clearly indicating that some corporators had actually taken away the relief materials by bullying the CMC officials.
On the other hand, the BJD corporators squarely blamed officials (both district and civic body) for failing to distribute the relief materials properly to the affected people during the cyclone.
While authorities declared to provide cooked food for three days through four free kitchens across the city to about 40,000 affected people, not a single morsel was distributed in any of the designated four kitchens ever, the corporators complained.
The city Congress party was first to bring this looting incident into light and subsequently lodged a police complaint demanding action against the culprits in accordance to law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?
- China says South Korea damaged 'mutual trust'
- Susan Rice urges `candour and openness` on Beijing visit
- Would love to star in a Bollywood film: Rick Hoffman
- All is not well between Kareena Kapoor Khan and Deepika Padukone? – Know why
- UNBELIEVABLE! This visually-impaired Pakistani singer's voice will give you goosebumps - WATCH