Cyber racket busted in Bargarh 5 foreigners held
Bargarh: With the arrest of five foreigners, including four Nigerians and an Ugandan woman from New Delhi, Odisha police on Tuesday claimed to have busted a racket of cyber criminals who had allegedly swindled over Rs five lakh from a local through fake lottery.
A five-member police team from Bargarh with the help of Delhi police arrested the accused - N. Anthony, Max Well, Okonkwo Nambichery, John Abboid Bayjoi (all Nigerinas) and Kisakai Fanta Bela (Ugandan woman) - on July 14 and brought them here, police said.
"The special police team from here arrested them in New Delhi and brought them here on remand. They are now being interrogated", Sub-Divisional Police Officer (Bargarh) Amarendra Rana said.
Rana said a local shop-keeper, Syam Sundar Sahu had received a message on his cellphone on June 2, 2012 where the sender had confirmed he was the lucky winner of a lottery of Rs one crore and requested him to deposit Rs 21,500 as processing fee to get the prize money.
Accordingly, the complainant deposited the money in a savings account given by the sender. Later, he was asked to deposit more money to get the lottery amount.
Sahu has claimed that he had deposited Rs 5,23 lakh to get the lottery money.
But when he was asked to deposit Rs 75,000 more, Sahu suspected that he was being duped by senders of the message in the name of lottery and complained to police on June 30, 2012", Rana said.
Following some leads a police team went to New Delhi which finally resulted in the arrest of the fraudsters, he said.
Police seized several laptops and cellphones from the accused besides some cash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report