Cyber support for abducted Orissa collector
Bhubaneswar: From colleagues to social activists to well-wishers, support poured in from all quarters on social networking website Facebook for the safe release of Orissa district collector R Vineel Krishna, who was abducted by Maoists on Wednesday.
Vineel, the district collector of Malkangiri, was abducted along with a junior engineer by Maoists in Chitrakonda area of the district on Wednesday.
"Vineel is an asset to the country. I salute your spirit and wish a safe homecoming. We all love you so much", read a message posted by Ashis Mohanty.
Another one said, "Have faith in God and people`s good-wishes. You had a bad start; it will pass off soon."
Facebook even has a group named "Support for Vineel" which already has over 1,000 members.
"Hoping and praying is only a means of expressing solidarity. And there is no harm in accepting any divine intervention to all human efforts being taken", said a message, that came after some posts seeking divine intervention for his release.
An Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer posted, "Dear Vineel, we are always proud of your pro-poor and pro-tribal approach. We have changed some of our guidelines to help forest right beneficiaries. God bless you all."
The rebels have set conditions for Vineel`s release that include halting anti-Maoist operations in the area and the release of all Maoists arrested in the past. In a fresh wish list, they are now demanding the scrapping of pacts the government has signed with MNCs.
The 48-hour deadline ends on Friday evening.
"They abduct an officer who was honestly working for upliftment of marginalised sections of society. Where is intelligentsia and those who supports naxals now? Will they stand up and inform their `friends` that they have picked up on a wrong one", asked the collector of a neighbouring district in his post.
Many also posted links of the websites which carried stories on the abducted officials to keep the group members updated on the incident.
Vineel too has a Facebook account which seems to be in operation as a message posted on his wall says, "Thanks for support".
The 30-year-old IAS officer was going to inspect development projects apparently without any guards after attending a meeting in Badapada village early on Wednesday when half a dozen armed Maoists surprised him and his aides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt