Cyclone Phailin: Epidemic threat in Ganjam
Berhampur (Odisha): The threat of epidemic is looming large in worst-hit Ganjam district as the debris is yet to be cleared even six days after Cyclone Phailin left behind its trail of destruction.
Five Diarrhoea cases have already been reported from Sorala, a fishermen village in the coastal area. The disease was also reported from the nearby villages.
Confirming it, Ganjam chief medical officer P K Kar, however, said the situation was not alarming.
?We have received some sporadic cases. But the situation is totally normal," he said.
Kar said at least ten teams of doctors along with paramedical staff were touring the cyclone-ravaged areas.
At least two teams were deputed to the district from Bhubaneswar and all the senior doctors in the area have been alerted to be prepared to meet the situation, Kar added.
Managing Director of National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) Roopa Mishra today reviewed the preparedness of the health sector to meet the outbreak of any epidemic here.
Locals complained that the situation was the worst in Berhampore Municipal Corporation (BMC) area as heaps of garbage, branches of trees lay piled up in the south Odisha town.
Fowl smell was emanating from the clogged drains, while drinking water supply is yet to normalise in the town.
"We are trying our level best to clean up the town. The work is on in full swing and more people have been hired for it.
Several persons with required machinery from Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation were also at work to clear the town", BMC commissioner Ajit Mishra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH