Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa
Bhubaneswar: Heavy rains were forecast in parts of Orissa on Monday as cyclonic storm `Jal` over southwest Bay of Bengal weakened into a depression, officials said.
The cyclonic storm weakened into a depression and crossed north Tamil Nadu and south Andhra Pradesh coast Sunday night, an official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told a news agency.
It was laying centered over coastal areas of north Tamil Nadu and south Andhra Pradesh, about 60 km north of Chennai Sunday night.
Under its influence, heavy rainfall and thundershowers are expected in parts of Orissa in the next couple of days, the official said.
Two Orissa ports - Paradip and Gopalpur - have been advised to keep the storm warning signal hoisted. The fishermen in the state`s coastal belt have been asked to remain cautious while venturing into the sea, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Schools, colleges shut in rain-hit Karnataka district
- NT Awards 2016: Zee News wins five awards in various categories
- AAP advertising budget less than money spent on PM Modi's clothes: Arvind Kejriwal
- ''Disappointment'' over Pay Commission due to Centre's inability to rein in inflation: JD (U)
- Want to live longer? Restrict your calorie intake!