D Raja leads anti-Posco agitation, gheraoes police camp
Paradip (Odisha): CPI National Secretary and MP D Raja on Thursday led a demonstration by anti-Posco agitators, mostly children and women, near here demanding complete withdrawal of police force from the proposed plant site areas in Odisha`s Jagatsinghpur district.
Raja, who flayed "midnight entry by the police" into Gobindpur village in a bid to facilitate acquiring of land for the Rs 52,000 crore mega steel project of the South Korean major, led the demonstration as it neared Gobindpur-Mangala Chhak where police set up a temporary camp.
"Though the district administration yesterday announced withdrawal of force from Posco`s proposed plant site area, the personnel are still lodged at the temporary camp here," Raja told the gathering of anti-displacement activists.
Jagatsinghpur SP Satyabrata Bhoi, however, maintained the police force had to rush to the temporary camp today after getting information about the rally.
A large number of activists from CPI, CPI (M), Forward Bloc, Samajwadi Party, RJD and members from different NGOs also participated in the demonstration. The supporters and activists of opposition Congress and BJP also joined the gherao agitation lead by Raja.
"We will continue the stir till the police force is completely withdrawn," Raja said, adding normalcy cannot return to the proposed plant site unless the force was taken back.
Meanwhile, all the schools in Dhinkia and Gobindpur villages remained empty for the fifth consecutive day as children took part in the stir.
Social activist Swami Agnivesh was scheduled to visit Gobindpur village tomorrow to express solidarity with the agitating people.
The CPI-backed Posco Pratirodh Sangram Samiti (PPSS) leader Abhay Sahu`s fast also entered the third day today. "I will continue fast till complete withdrawal of force from the area," Sahu said raising question on the legal status of the land acquisition for a foreign company sans "a valid MoU."
The state, which began land acquisition for Posco on Sunday, announced halt yesterday in view of the prevailing law and order situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow