Daily wage earner dies of `starvation` in Orissa

The death of a daily wage earner, who was suffering from TB, in Jajpur district has triggered allegation that he had died due to starvation.

Jajpur, Orissa: The death of a daily wage earner, who was suffering from TB, in Jajpur district has triggered allegation that he had died due to starvation.

Madan Das (41), who hailed from Daitary area of neighbouring Keonjhar district, was working as a daily wage earner in Kuakhia bazar for the last seven years.

Kalandi Kantha, a social worker, today alleged that Das died yesterday going without food for three days staying under a tree after he was taken out of a hospital as his
teen-aged daughter could not afford the medical expenses.

"We are looking into the allegation. I have asked the Additional District Magistrate to inquire into it", district Collector Pramod Kumar Mohanty said.

Das and his 12-year-old daughter Juli used to stay at a relatives`s house. However, they had been removed after Das was diagnosed to be suffering from TB, Kantha said.

While Das stayed beneath a mango tree near Kuakhia, his daughter was staying at nearby Chandipur where she worked in an agro processing unit, he said.
The girl had borrowed Rs 6000 from her employer for her father`s treatment at the Community Health Centre at Madhuban. Das was referred to SCB Medical College Hospital at Cuttack after his condition deteriorated, he said.

However, as his condition did not improve and it was not possible to meet further medical expenses, he was taken back to the mango tree where he died yesterday, Kantha said.
The poverty alleviation schemes like NRHM and NREGA failed to save Das, he said.

Kathmandu, Nepal: A South Korean mountaineer made history in the Himalayas on Tuesday by becoming the first woman to scale the world`s 14 highest mountains, beating a Spanish rival for the record.
Oh Eun-sun, 44, crawled on all fours for the final, steep stretch to the peak of Annapurna, her feat broadcast live in South Korea by KBS television.

At the top, she pulled out a South Korean flag, waved, and then wept before throwing up her arms and shouting: "Victory!"

Annapurna, at 26,545 feet (8,091 meters) above sea level, was the last of the 14 Himalayan peaks above the 8,000-meter level she had wanted to conquer.

She narrowly beat Edurne Pasaban of Spain to the 14th peak. Pasaban also was seeking to become the first woman to scale all 14 peaks, and had only the 26,330-foot-high (8,027-meter-high) Mount Shisha Pangma left on her list.

Oh also tried to reach the peak of Annapurna last year but turned away just hundreds of meters from the summit because of bad weather. Snow and wind also stopped her from making the trek last weekend.

"I gave it up because of a sudden ominous feeling that something bad would happen to either me or my peers including the sherpas on my way back to base camp," she told The Korea Times newspaper last month.

She said this trip would be different, and said she would be carrying a photograph of Ko Mi-young, a lifelong rival who fell to her death last year while descending from Nanga Parbat, the world`s ninth-highest peak in the Himalayas.

On Tuesday, it took Oh 13 hours to climb Annapurna. KBS footage showed her breathing heavily after each step. Cheers broke out as she reached the summit.

Bureau Report